Thursday, January 7, 2010

What is a good detergent & softener to wash baby clothes in?

I'm not due until September but I want to wash the clothes now. Is there a certain type of laundry detergent and fabric softener I should use? Some of the fabrics are a bit rough feeling and I want to soften them. Thanks!!What is a good detergent %26amp; softener to wash baby clothes in?
you can use fabric softener on things that aren't flame retardant; any detergent with no frag and no dyes should be fine....after a few months, try washing one of babies shirts or onesies with your reg detergent and if there is no reaction you can use your reg detergent; usually after babies get a little age on them they aren't quite as sensitive....and if you have a baby that is very sensitive , you may want to wash your shirts and such, things that will be in contact with baby frequently in his/her wash so there is no reaction..hthWhat is a good detergent %26amp; softener to wash baby clothes in?
I use ';Attitude'; laundry detergent. It's eco-friendly. Technically it's drinkable, though I wouldn't recommend it. No dyes, no chemicals. Cleans clothes great and won't bother baby's skin.





As for fabric softener, I';d skip it. Fabric softener has lots of chemicals and perfumes in it which can bother babies skin, as well, it builds up on the fabrics and on your dryer lint screen which can be a fire hazard. Get those dryer balls that fluff up clothes without the toxic fabric softener. Or buy organic or bamboo clothing which is so soft naturally.


In my opinion, you're better to clothe baby in ';rough'; feeling clothes than in clothes that have been dried with toxic chemicals.
We don't have baby all where I live (Hawaii), and if we do I've never noticed it. I use all natural laundry detergent Seventh Generation for my whole family from Target. I get the 150 fl.oz. bottle that costs $20.99 +tax, which lasts me 2-3 weeks. Which is amazing because my husband always puts in way to much, triple the amount! He's so used to the regular detergents, now there's 2x concentrate and he still puts in double, even triple the amount of cupfuls! It doesn't matter how many times I explain to him he still does it his way! I also by it because my son has baby eczema and I tried deft and it still made him break out! This detergent works good for my baby, the only way he breaks out is from other sources (people holding him,etc.). Good luck!
I LOVE Baby ALL. The dreft was nice, but WAY too expensive.





You shouldn't use any additional softeners until your baby is a little older %26amp; you can see a reaction. When infants are newly born, they can often have mottled skin or small red areas of breakouts anyway, and you might not be able to tell the difference between normal spots %26amp; allergic reactions.





Baby ALL is really good with biological stuff like milk %26amp; poop. I used to wash a lot of my own stuff in the baby ALL (and I could afford to do it b/c of the price difference between ALL %26amp; Dreft)...so that I could get out spit up %26amp; milk (from breastfeeding).





I continued to use dryer sheets to get rid of static cling...but no softener, and I used whatever brand had a dye free, perfume free sheet.
just use your regular detergent and rinse the clothes twice. Skip the fabric softener for the first month or so because it is more likely to cause a rash since it stays on the clothes. Make sure you wash new clothes before your baby wears them because new cloth is treated with a starch so it stays wrinkle free and looking nice on the rack.
We use Dreft. But my Mom is the coordinator (boss) at a hospital for the laundry department and she said that you can use any type of laundry detergent safely as long as you send them through the rinse cycle twice.
at my shower we got a bunch of dreft but it doesn't smell very good in my opinion. i used Baby All and liked it much better plus it is less expensive.
Good lord, don't buy Dreft. It's way overpriced, and it's not even unscented. Just about every brand sells a perfume-free detergent.
Dreft, Baby ALL or the Target brand of baby detergent also works good. All these are gentle for baby's clothes
Dreft or Tide free has worked for us...just make sure it's free of perfumes and dyes and whatnot....





Oh and I wouldn't use fabric softner...I agree...
We use All Free and Clear and I believe the dryer sheets are Bounce unscented.

No comments:

Post a Comment