Thursday, January 7, 2010

Do you dry your clothes on the washing line outside?

it is more environmentally friendlyDo you dry your clothes on the washing line outside?
Absolutely!





I live in the cold wet pacific northwest too. I gave up my tumble dryer over a year ago. In the warmer months I use the clothesline outside. I wash all my colored clothing inside out and hang on the line this way to keep them from fading. I wash all my whites right side out and hang up right side out so the sun will help bleach them and keep them bright.





In the winter/rainy season (which is 6 months of the year) I have 2 long pipes suspended from the ceiling in my garage by giant hooks. I use these to hang clothes on with coat hangers. I supplement this with a wooden drying rack for towels, sheets, socks, underwear, etc.





Even in the winter when it is wet and humid here, most of my clothes dry within 24 hours in my unheated garage.





I have bad allergies, so in the spring when the pine trees have a lot of pollen and leave a yellow coating on everything, I just hang indoors until the threat has gone. I have found that by hanging my clothes they last longer and it is actually easier. I can hang everything up and forget about them for a few days until I am ready to put them away. Unlike the tumble dryer, which I have to rush to pull them from the dryer so they don't get all wrinkled.





There is nothing better than line dried clothing and no commercial product can copy that fresh scent. They all try, but they fail.





If I can hang my clothing year round, in such a wet climate, everyone else can too. I guess it just depends on your level of commitment.





I save a lot of money and I am not putting so much carbon into the environment by doing this. I doubt if I will be purchasing another tumble dryer again. This system works very well at my house for us.





Do you dry your clothes on the washing line outside?
i actually dry all of my t-shirts and pants inside of the house on a laundry line in the house(it rains a lot where i live and i'm severely allergic to pollen) So i actually dry 1/2 of my clothes inside,but the rest like hand towels, sheets and blankets in the dryer so that the dryer will kill all of the germs the detergent didn't.
It isn't just more environmentally-friendly; it is more bill friendly.


I have a tumble dryer, but rarely ever use it.


I aim to do my washing on any day when the sun shines and anything not dry enough to put away when the sun goes down, is put in the bathroom on an airer and over-the-bath retractable clothes line.
Yes but I never used to in my previous house because the line was too near to the fence and I hated the thought of insects and cobwebs getting onto my washing.





A posh girl in my office overheard me talking about it and asked how I dried my washing so instead of telling her I used a tumble dryer I told her I dusted the fence. She believed me too!
Yes, although not much chance to this summer, have had more washing on the line in October than August!!





I am a working mum too, hasn't stopped me so far.





(I think someone is sulking because they got a thumbs down and has been going down giving one to everyone else, poor didums!) LOL!
Weather permitting I do. I finish towels etc. on a cold tumble to soften. Had to get them in this afternoon as we got a shower in Berkshire (like the contributor from Surrey - well it is only down the road).
Yes but once i left my coat on the line and when i brought it in it smelt of Tomcats so i had to wash it again.
Yes. It makes the clothes smell fresher and costs less (just need a line and some pegs if you don't have any already) as well being environmentally friendly.
Sure do - it saves on ironing too. Just had to leg-it outside though as an unforecast shower descended on (otherwise) sunny Surrey!
Yes I love to smell the fresh air on my washing.





In damp weather I dry them on a rack and then finish off in the dryer machine.
We do whenever we can as everything seems fresher that way.


Unless it's too wet or too cold.No wet or frozen clothes here!



You just want to know if my boxers are outside so you can steal them ;-)
Yes - environmentally friendly does NOT come in to it. Tumble Driers are to expensive.
I do when I can but not everyone is lucky enough to have outside space to do this.
I dry mine inside, on an indoor line, how is that not environmentally friendly?
Yes I do, %26amp; they feel %26amp; smell, much nicer.
Yes, but I've just had to bring it in cause the rain is on again.
yes i do and the clothes smell much fresher
Yes as much as i can do.
Always if the weather is good enough!
  • Dogs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment