Monday, December 21, 2009

I alway wash my clothes in cold water, is this bad? When should i use hot?

i know you are thinking what a dumb question- i think it saves me money not running the hot for clothes. Proably not enough money to notice? What do you think?I alway wash my clothes in cold water, is this bad? When should i use hot?
i wash everything in cold too. About once a month I will wash (separtely) socks, underwear and towels in hot water. If they are whites I throw in a bit of bleach. This will kill any bacteria that live in the fabrics and remove fabric softener build up. I love soft towels but I also want them to dry my body too.I alway wash my clothes in cold water, is this bad? When should i use hot?
I wash everything in cold, and I use Arm and Hammer detergent (not an expensive brand), usually don't bleach and my clothes turn out fine...but then again I'm not too picky about checking for stains unless they are obvious or I was really concerned to get that particular stain out.





One reason why I always use cold is I am notorious for not resetting the dial. So if I wash one load in hot, I may forget and wash another in hot that I shouldn't have.





Any savings is a good thing, plus if you were ruining your clothes with hot water (setting stains, shrinking your clothes) you have to replace them instead of just paying more to heat the water.





You might try bleaching your whites every once in a while, or switching off from really high quality laundry soap to cheaper, etc.





The exception to my cold only policy is hot for any sanitation issues: extremely sweaty, if there was a lice or other contagious issue, if there is vomit, or excrement on the clothes or bedding. In the last case, you also want to wash separately and try to handwash to get most of the problem solved before you put it in the washer.





Vinegar is a mild disinfectant for clothing as an alternative to bleach. It also acts as a fabric softener and a deodorizer. You can throw it in anytime, I even put it in the Downy ball.
Cold water is OK for medium and dark colors, but I think you really need hot water for the whites, along with detergent and bleach if you want to keep them white.

No comments:

Post a Comment